Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Friends

Friends for a lifetime.

There are some people who are your friends for life. They'll be with you forever, in good times, bad times.. and you noe that they care..You go out of touch, n then you meet them , talk to them and it's still the same... both of you feel the same way, can talk about anything just like you used to, can share your lives..

and then there are some whom you meet in life and then one of you moves on.. You have great times together.. but then you just move on.. and the other one gets left behind..

There are so few people who actually make an effort, to maintain friendships. It's not so tough to make friends, but very tough to keep them. You may still talk or be in touch, but it doesn't mean you are still friends.. you do a 'how are you, i'm fine, what's up..what's new'.. and then you have nothing more to say.It's not just the time or the distance.. you may meet some friends after months but still feel the same for them..

I wonder how many people whom we call our friends are really 'friends'.
and then there are some with whom you have a great time, but share nothing of your feelings.. they're there just to have fun.. they're a part of your life nevertheless but they're not someone you get emotional with... so that when they move on there's less pain..

It hurts, it really hurts when friends don't stay friends.. people change, move on, get on with their lives.. and you feel hurt, used... why can't you just move on as easily..

There have been times when I've met people, whom I considered friends... doing a course, or something else..I considered them good friends and then the course finished and they just moved on... we used to talk often, and now sometimes it's months before we talk...sometimes i feel maybe i should put in more effort rather than blame them for it too... i mean is it really anyone's fault? maybe they expect me to call them n i expect them to call me...

I don't think it's deliberate most of the times.It's just that people get busy, a new job, a new place, school ends, college ends.. u don't meet that often any more, could be a number of reasons. Infact it's probably happened even the other way round. You have forgotten some of your friends who probably still miss you...

My oldest friend is one I've known since I was 4. I'm quite proud of it actually :) Yes, we don't talk or meet that often but I still feel like i have a friend in her. I like talkin to her, still want to talk to her...probably not the closest of friends but well what I like about this friendship is that we both make an effort to maintain the friendship. I've never felt that she doesn't...and i hope she feels the same about me...

and then there are some.. my 'best friend' all through school years, well we're still in touch.. but are we still friends? I can probably count on my fingers the number of times we've met since school finished.. and infact it was almost like we both just moved on as soon as we moved out of school...

Thankyou God for all the people who are really my friends, I hope they stay so for life..Thankyou for all those who care, who make an effort..who are special to me! Those who are far and yet don't seem so far..

A very emotional post... I'm just very emotionally drained right now...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

such core topic and that too at 3am.. no wonder you are drained out!

friends.. I guess to us (this generation), they mean a lot more than even most our relatives.. except only our parents/siblings..

I guess that is what makes it so special... best friends.. childhood friends... something to cherish..

I have a few close friends too... but the closest.. the degree depends on how well I can relate to them/vice versa at this point in time..

Bhaskar

Suds said...

Hey Neha. Indeed an emotional post. You made me think about my friends. hmmm..

The Comic Project said...

hey neha..just bloghopping and got here. One reason why some friends move on, some disappear and only a few hang around is so everyone can give attention to the few precious ones left. It's only natural to expect that all our friends stay with us, but unrealistic too. Nice post :-)

Ajit Chouhan said...

with time perception about people changes andd so it does about relationships too.u'll find that happening as you move and meet new people.I guess its part of life.But remember life is a journey which has no friends as such.

cherubic_chipmunk said...

hey dis post is truly a facsimilie of my thoughts...i've been giving this thing a very deep thought ever since i stepped into college n it aint stopped till now...there're only a handful whom i can really trust blindly n share all my thoughts-the few whom i regard true friends...newayz ur post brought tears 2 my eyes-damn i really am cryin lemme better put a full stop...

Neha said...

@Bhaskar, yeah I've really bcom nocturnal these days..lol.
well thts very true, our parents were more attached to their siblings or relatives, while we find the same attachment in friends..
It's best to have a few, a few who are the best :)

@Suds, well i'm glad i made u remember ur friends :)

@rahuketu, yes but at times the line blurs.. u consider someone a friend while that person may not think so..
of course, school or college or anyplace else.. there will always be those few..

@The Comic Project, hey thanks fr visitin! thts a nice theory btw :)
unrealistic..lol..thts not the first time i'v heard it, n not the last too.. i ahve my own idealistic dreamy world i think :)

@Ajit, wat u say is something which is true n yet...we're all alone here at the end of the day.. but we still need people..of course,change is inevitable.

@Arvind, omg, did i really do tht.. tht doesnt make me feel nice at all!!
well i guess it's natural to feel this way, we've all gone through this..cmon now dont make me feel bad.. cheer up!

@Jigal, thats a very nice thought :) thanku!

cherubic_chipmunk said...

hey its ok now i'm over it so stop feelin bad n besides the lachrymal effect wasnt entirely due 2 ur post so there's no need at all for u 2 feel guilty...:-)

Sudeep said...

True n a gud observation indeed..

Dry scattered leaves r everywhere.. u can see them at any given time or place. But wht matters r the leaves which we keep within the pages of the book of our lives. Even after yrs when we look at them, it brings a smile to our face even if they are now dry n simply show veins.

U got a nice blog here :) .. c ya around

Anonymous said...

Tum takkaluf ko bhee ikhlaas samajhte ho ' faraaz',
dost hota naheen har haath milaane waala.

O! 'Faraaz', you mistake even the formality for friendship
everyone who shakes hands is not necessarily a friend

Anonymous said...

when it comes to friends and friendship i always quote the following lines -
smiles n tears giggles n laughs
late night calls n cute photographs
jammin together partyng till late
making new friends with boxes of chocolate
i'll be there till the day of my death
forever friend till my very last breath

keep smiliN :)

sinusoidally said...

What can I say...I feel sad too. That's how life is, right?

Neha said...

@Arvind, I'm glad :)

@sudeep,hey thanks!tht was beautifully put i must say:)

@The monk, did u write tht?am lost for words..really..it's very nice...

@Saikat, tht has to b one of ur best ones ;)
keep spreading the smiles around :)

@sinusiodally, u'd written abt it recently too right..
well life sucks...lol..not always..but it does feel so at times..

Whats In A Name said...

Good analysis i must say...
Met one frnd of mine after a very long time. It was some 8 years. Was really happy to see him.. But that happiness dissappeared after some time.. I was kinda sad too.. I was searching within him the boy he was 8 years ago . Both of us were not the same anymore..and for strange reasons I wished i hadnt met him..
Good post...

Neha said...

hey manish!
8 years is a long time, it happens.. we go with certain expectations, hopin fr things to be same... but they never are!
where hv u been? wat's keepin ya so busy these days ?:)

Whats In A Name said...

Am too stuck up with mt project :-((
Last date to submit is 31st. I havent written a thing..
Mai Fail ho jaunga:-(

teacup said...

hey neha, nice post, i so agree wid u, it really hurts wen the people u thot were ur friends dont always remain that,i have posted on the same topic, check it out...

Anonymous said...

"we go with certain expectations, hopin fr things to be same... but they never are!"

Sometimes it is best not to expect...difficult credo to live by but makes things so much easier.

I felt this way once upon a time...when we left our class for the last time it was with promises to keep in touch and what not...but things never happen. Nothing is constant and the same is with friends. Its not that people dont want to keep in touch but just that the things that bound you...college life...problems...just dont exist anymore.

Sometimes it is best to cherish the memories of joyous moments than to rue about what could be. Life becomes much much worth living then! :)

coolvir said...

Waoh.Really nice post

Reminded me of my ALMOST forgotton friends.
And yes friends does moves with their life on but friendship remains in their heart.Always

Btw,Nice blog.