Thursday, November 03, 2005

Hazaaron Khwaishen

Overwhelming. That's one word which comes to my head when I try to describe the movie I've just seen. Hazaaron Khwaishen Aisi. A movie which released a long time back and which I've been wanting to see ever since, but somehow never managed to. Well I finally managed to see it today and it's left a deep impression on me... I would advice everyone who's not yet seen the movie to watch it. I've never seen anything like this and I just had to write about it..even though the first time I wrote and pressed publish, Msn just simply said this page is having difficulties and ate up my entry..grrrrrr

It's one of the most complex, interesting , 'different' movies I've seen.The characters are well sketched out, the acting is brilliant.. A love story set in the backdrop of the late 60's and 70's, the Emergency, the naxalite movement, oppression of the minorties. Three people who belong to different backgrounds, come together for a short period of time and then are thrown apart, each following his or her own destiny. A rich kid, disillusioned with his life, having ideals of ' I want to change the society', a woman in love with him who leaves her comfortable life and makes his mission in life her own.. and on the other hand, a middle class man who's doesn't care for these idealistic values and only wants to make his life comfortable.. Out of the three characters the characters of Geeta ( Chitrangada Singh) , who really evolves as the movie progresses, and Vikram( Shiney Ahuja), inspite of the grey shades, his unconditional love for Geeta, were more appealing to me than Siddharth ( Kaykay)'s. Maybe because towards the end he's defeated by circumstances and gives up.. even though it looks so real.. The movie makes you think about following your ideals.. and the ending is brilliant..

This review should have come 6 months earliar.. lol.. well it's not just a review..

I was thinking.How would it have been to live in those times.. the times which seem like a closed chapter of history now.. The Emergency, the times when one woman declared herself to be above everything else and noone could do anything about it, when you had no freedom of speech and expression, forced sterilisations, when you could be put in jail for following a particular ideology.. the times when you had no rights at all.. Life seems so different now. Even though there are things which still havent changed. Can anyone say that there is no oppression of lower castes, no police brutalities now? India of cities and towns is still very different from India of the villages.. Yet, we are moving ahead and will continue to do so...

No comments: